Ajn's Point Reyes Brussel Sprout Salad
The key is absolutely the mild flavor of this cheese from a creamery in Calfornia. Been meaning to try cambazola for fun, but haven't yet had the chance. Here goes...
- 1/3-1/2lb uncooked, untrimmed Brussels sprouts
- 1 tbsp+ high quality olive oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp grainy mustard
- 2-3ish oz Point Reyes blue cheese, room temp
- 1/2 Bosc pear, sliced thin and halved
- Handful of lightly candied walnuts (optional)
- Salt & pepper
- 1 Tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar
- Insert a fork into the stem end of each sprout, and shred on a mandolin slicer moving in a single direction until only the portion you would have trimmed is left. Consistency is key here; you want light, shredded bits with some thinly sliced core pieces
- In a large bowl, mix oil, syrup, mustard and blue cheese with a fork, mashing the cheese until smooth and integrated. You could use a food processor, but I find this easier. Balance cheese/oil/mustard to your preference, along with light salt/pepper.
- Mix in sprouts until you achieve a dressing:sprout ratio you like. We prefer it pretty thin on dressing. Add pears and sprinkle with walnuts. Serve with grilled beef/pork/lamb.