Grandpappy's Turnt Juice
A cocktail inspired by October in Southeast Tennessee.
There's a chill in the air. The smell of the season's first blaze in the
fireplace is on the breeze. Winter is coming to the Appalachian foothills.
Put down the axe and pack some cherry blend into your burl wood pipe. Let's
sip on some of Grandpappy's Turnt Juice.
Not for the faint of heart, or the faint of pancreas. If you need to shoot
your blood sugar through the roof and take the edge way off, this is the drink
- Woodford Reserve bourbon
- Woodford Reserve cherries
- Dolin dry vermouth
- Crushed ice
- Unsulphured molasses
- Angostura bitters
- Put a tablespoon of molasses into the shaker along with a handful of crushed
- Put a dash or two of bitters into the the shaker, along with a splash of
the Woodford reserve cherry juice. Drop in a cherry.
- Put 3oz of bourbon and 1oz of dry vermouth into the shaker.
- Cap the shaker and shake the hell out of it. It'll take some effort to get
the molasses to mix.
- Strain out the turnt juice into the jar. Take the cherry out of the shaker
and drop it into the turnt juice.