@hardwaterhacker's Crispy Parmesan Baked Walleye
This recipe works great for walleye, crappie/sunfish/bluegill (a.k.a. bream), northern pike, or any other similar freshwater, non-oily white meat fish.
- 2 lbs. (.9 kg) walleye fillets
- 2 cups (300 g) panko bread crumbs
- 1 packet dry Italian dressing mix (I use Good Seasons)
- 1/4 cup (38 g) garlic powder
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) skim milk
- 1/2 cup (45 g) finely-grated quality parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (232 C)
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Tinfoil can be used, but fish may stick.
- Mix panko crubs, seasoning packet, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a bowl until mixed well.
- Beat egg whites and skim milk in a bowl until blended.
- Dunk fillet pieces in egg & milk mixture and then dredge in breading mixture. Make sure each piece is thoroughly coated and place on parchment paper.
- Bake fillets for 15 minutes.
While fillets are baking, melt butter in a pan. After 15 minutes, remove fish from oven and spoon a small amount of butter on each fillet. Sprinkle grated parmesan on each fillet. Place fish back in oven for 3-4 minutes until parmesan is melted.