I like kraut, yes I do. Sauerkraut is one of the first foods that people ferment, as it's very forgiving and cheap if it messes up. For this one, you only need three ingredients! Want to get creative? add other things, like carrots, ginger, garlic, etc.
- 2 large heads of lettuce
- 1/4 cup kosher salt (may need a little more)
- 1 tbsp caraway
- Clean and cut the cabbage into 1 inch squares. Put into a bowl and rinse.
- If the cabbage is a little damp, that's okay. Add salt and caraway, and start to knead the cabbage, 5-10 minutes. The cabbage will wilt to half the size or more. You can use a stand mixer with a dough hook to make this part go faster. (And save your arms)
- Pour the cabbage (juices included) into a fermenting crock. Ferment for 24 hours.
- Check after the first 24 hours. If there is not enough brine, add 1 tbsp to 2 cups of water, then add to the mixture to cover the cabbage.
- Ferment! I like mine fermenting for a week, then put it in the fridge to sour up.
- Want to make it really good? Experiment with root vegetables. I've had success with beets, carrots, ginger, etc.
NOTE: Make sure you are comfortable with fermenting before doing this. Do your homework on fermenting and do it safely! Mold == bad.